My Skin Allergy: Methylisothiazolinone (MI) and Methylchloroisothiazolinone (MCI)

Wednesday 21 May 2014

I was apprehensive about writing this post but I felt it was something I needed to address with the possibility of helping others who have encountered the same issue. I myself struggled to find in depth personal accounts from people with this allergy and so I thought I'd share my own story. Although this was a self-diagnosis, I did a great deal of research prior and have notified my doctor.

Methylisothiazolinone (MI) and Methylchloroisothiazolinone (MCI) are chemicals found in cosmetics; toiletries, household solvents and paint, acting as preservative agents. In recent years concerns have risen over the impact both MI and MCI have on human skin and last year fuelled one of the biggest stories in skincare health. Warnings had been made of an increase of this new contact allergy and there has been a significant climb in the number of reported reactions worldwide. Although companies have been using these chemicals for years it seems that they have begun to use higher concentrations of the two which would explain the sudden epidemic of people contracting the allergy.

Over a month ago, I noticed the skin around my eye area and behind my ears had become really dry and flaky which is unusual considering I have oily skin. At the time I didn't give it much thought and figured it was just a dry spell for my skin until my eyelids and earlobes began to become incredibly sore and red. I then realised this must be a reaction to something I was using on a regular basis and after trial and error I figured out that it was the fault of my facial wipes which I use to remove eye make up and clean behind my ears. This was my first time using these particular wipes so I just assumed that my skin hadn't taken well to them and I needed to avoid them entirely. My skin began to clear a few days after the initial reaction but it wasn't long until the next. Despite using a different brand of facial wipes, my eyes were still irritated and had even began to swell. Every morning I would wake up with incredibly puffy, sore eyelids and the swelling was so intense that it looked like I had been in a fist fight. The skin under my eyes and around my lips was so red it could be mistaken for sunburn and it was so dry that it began to crack which caused a lot of discomfort. I couldn't believe that the reaction was getting worse despite my best efforts to avoid what I thought was to blame. It started to become clear that it wasn't down to the brands I was using, it must be a specific ingredient.

(Above) Day 2-3 into the reaction, sore and inflamed skin. 

I began to narrow down the products that I had been using that could possibly be the catalyst behind these reactions, comparing their ingredients to try and solve which one was upsetting my skin. I was becoming so frustrated and it even brought me to tears at one point because my skin had become extremely painful and inflamed. It was a never ending mystery, why was my skin reacting this way? Why can't I figure out the cause? How can I go about my day with my skin this way?

For four days or so I literally avoided using anything on my face to allow my skin to heal and eventually I introduced products back into my routine one by one to see if they would trigger a reaction. But of course I didn't want to go through another cycle of swollen eyes and burning skin so I researched online for ingredients in cosmetics that typically cause allergic reactions and instantly I was presented with stories and reports on Methylisothiazolinone (MI) and Methylchloroisothiazolinone (MCI). BINGO! I read through a number of reports discussing the effects MI and MCI have on the skin and the alarming rate of the rise in reactions - the exact same reactions I had been going through! I also came across a Facebook group specifically created for people suffering with this allergy and I was shocked to see how so many others have reacted terribly to these preservatives. 

I was confident that I had finally found an answer and I immediately started reading the ingredients of all my daily used products and it was written clear in black and white, Methylisothiazolinone. I was quite taken back to find it was all over the house from the washing up liquid to the shower gel. My shampoo's, body creams and laundry detergent all consisted of this awful chemical, it is no wonder why my reaction has been so persistent. 

Since my discovery I have completely rid of all my cosmetics and toiletries that contain MI and MCI. I have also changed my laundry detergent and I always make sure to wear rubber gloves when washing the dishes. As a result my skin has completely healed and I have managed to avoid further reactions although I am quite anxious of how sensitive my skin has become. Having this allergy has made it rather difficult to do everyday things with a clear mind. For example, I will now have to bring my own toiletries when staying over at my boyfriends house, it was shocking to see that every single shampoo, conditioner and shower gel in his bathroom were now all off bounds for my personal use. Also, I am now rather limited to what products I can test and review for my blog which is why I haven't been able to write as much as I have wanted to over the past few weeks. I have visited my doctor and even she had recently become aware of this allergy and wasn't at all surprised to hear of my experience, she recommended that I visit a dermatologist but unfortunately there are no appointments for the next 2 months.

Products that triggered my reaction:

Soap & Glory Fab Pore Facial Wipes
Soap & Glory Pulp Friction
Nivea Visage Pure & Natural Wipes
L'Oreal Shampoo's and Conditioner's
Tresemmme Shampoo's and Conditioner's

Useful information:

Watchdog report - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/mi-update
Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Allergy-to-Isothiazolinone-Methylisothiazolinone-and-Chloroisothiazolinone/307128722674171


Tamara x

14 comments

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this personal post. I'm sure lots will benefit from this valuable information. Adele x acesparklestar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem at all Adele, thank you so much for reading :) x

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    I too have had terrible reactions the MCI or MI and it has been an absolute nightmare to the point that my eyes were so swollen they were nearly closed over and my entire face was blistered as well as my scalp. After visiting a dermatologist and having patch testing done it was confirmed that I was allergic to MCI/ MI. I was told just to avoid all cosmetics......yeah right (that's so easy with my patchy skin). I was also told that labeling laws are inconsistent and that I would need to contact manufacturers directly as often preservatives don't need to be listed which MCI/ MI is, and it is often not listed on cleaning and laundry products especially. It has been a long process and usually it takes about 3 weeks for my skin to clear up after a really bad reaction. It is also important to not that many household paints also contain MCI/ MI and you can get allergic contact dermatitis from the airborne particles until it's dry......so no more renovating for me. I feel frustrated because companies can use this toxic ingredient without listing it on their products. I don't care if they use it but as consumers we should have the right to know what's in our products and to avoid it if it is a problem for us rather than undergoing all the pain and suffering and emotional trauma of blowing up like a balloon for weeks!!! Thankyou so much for getting the word out there for other consumers....you are wonderful! I hope my story can help others too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bronwyn, so sorry to hear of your experience it seems you had a much more terrible reaction than I did :( although you were fortunate enough to have been diagnosed by a dermatologist, I think it was rather vague of them to recommend you not to use ANY cosmetics. I continued to wear make up because I needed to conceal the redness of my skin the allergy caused and you'd be surprised how many products do actually list MI/MCI in their ingredients which has really helped me to determine what I can and cannot use on my skin. I'd recommend that you opt for brands that are typically known for their natural ingredients, for example the body shop has wonderful skincare that is kind to my sensitive skin. Even though it is a tedious task to read the back of everything you buy it has really made a difference for me and I think it will help you too. I'd probably suggest to avoid L'Oreal and Nivea in particular. Check your laundry detergent and household cleaners too! I really hope you are able to eventually control your allergy, it's sad to hear that others like yourself have suffered x

      Delete
  3. Hi,
    I am so relieved I found this on facebook! I have had an ongoing reaction that started out as what felt and looked like badly chapped lips. It had been going on for about 3-4 weeks when I finally asked my dermatologist what she thought it could be. She scheduled the patch test which came back positive for MCI/MI. I also can not believe all the products that contain this! Since I just had the patch test done the other day I have stopped using my cosmetics but nothing has changed. I am now wondering if it's my toothpaste is the culprit since my reaction is only on my lips and around my lips? Have you heard of toothpaste causing this type of reaction? I appreciate any input and advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley, thank you for reading. I'm sorry to hear you've been effected as well :( I have no knowledge that MI/MCI is found in toothpaste but it's probably worth reading the ingredients to check. Be sure to check whether your shampoos and conditioners have it too. What lip care do you currently use? x

      Delete
    2. Hi,
      It is listed on the toothpaste I had been using. I have only been using vaseline on my lips but...........
      I'm very frustrated at this point!!

      Delete
    3. Really?! that's worrying..I know Vaseline as a brand has been criticised for it's use of MI but I'm not certain if this includes their lip care x

      Delete
  4. Great write up. I too ran into this stuff with the same yucky skin reaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading Chad, I hope you've managed to keep your allergy under control x

      Delete
  5. hi - i am also allergic to this nasty MI and would like to know if you have had any bad reaction to MAC eyeshadow? I tried a new one yesterday and my eyes are all puffy and red today :( Many thanks
    linece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I haven't actually used MAC shadows before but I would be really surprised if they contain MI as I have always assumed it is only found in liquid/wet products. Have you checked the ingredients list on the packaging? x

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© As Told by Tamara. Design by Eve.