My Skin Allergy: An Update

Thursday 10 October 2019


I discovered my allergy back in 2014 (read here) and since have been able to keep on top of it, however I do have the occasional reaction which is usually out of my control. My most recent reactions have been a little more harsh on my skin, leaving sore, burning blisters on my face. It took me some to time to realise what had been causing this, the answer - Salicylic Acid.

I'm used to reacting to products containing Methylisothiazolinone (MI) and Methylchloroisothiazolinone (MCI) but it didn't occur to me how sensitive my skin had become due to my allergy. Using facial acids like Salicylic acid are far too strong for my weakened skin and I have found they literally burn away my skin, causing discomfort, redness, weeping and dryness. 


These photos show how I reacted to a simple drop or two of The Ordinary's Salicylic Acid 2% which I applied to dry out a couple of spots. I woke up in the morning with my face burning, hot to touch and red all over the areas of where the acid had been placed. Following this, it took weeks and weeks for my skin to fully recover. I had to endure redness and flaky skin which made make up application challenging and the overall appearance of my face irritated.

Since avoiding facial acids my skin has vastly improved and I am consciously watching out for skincare that contains Salicylic acid. For those with sensitive skin like me, I'd advise to steer clear of harsh facial peels and seek out natural alternatives.

Tamara x

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© As Told by Tamara. Design by Eve.