MI/MCI Allergy Update

Sunday 12 July 2015

It's been over a year since I posted upon my allergy to Methylisothiazolinone (MI) and Methylchloroisothiazolinone (MCI) (read here). Many of you found it really helpful and it opened my eyes to see just how serious and common this allergy is. As a beauty blogger, this allergy has restricted me from using certain products, which ultimately mean's I am unable to trial and review some of the most popular cosmetics out there. When it comes to make up, hair and skincare I have the endless nuisance of having to read the ingredients - not always displayed - or having to research online beforehand so that I know it is safe for me to use. 

Over the last year I have come to realise that this allergy effects people of all ages and what's worst about that is that it effects poor young children. MI/MCI is famously known for being found in baby wipes, which of course are used on babies and toddlers with sensitive skin. I've seen pictures of horrific skin reactions, most commonly on the face and hands and it can't go on. I think that is such a shame that brands aren't taking the matter more seriously and so I took it in my stride to contact a few of the brands I have had personal bad cases with, to address the problem.

Here are three of the responses I received, others chose not to comment or didn't respond at all:

Response from The Sanctuary:


Response from L'Oreal:


Response from Nivea:



Although I was pleased that these brands had taken the time to reply, I am still not entirely convinced they understand the seriousness of allergy and how badly people are reacting to MI/MCI. From some of the emails, the overall attitude I felt was 'it's only a minority not a majority, so we're not going to do anything about it any time soon'. I was however relieved to hear that some brands have recognised the issue and are making plans to take MI/MCI out of their products in due course and already I have noticed action taking place.

Even though I have kept my allergy under control and know what to avoid coming into contact with, I still have the fear of reacting to something without warning which is why there needs to be a stop in the use of MI/MCI!

I hope this post has been helpful to some of you who commented on my last and I'd to think we won't have to suffer much longer.


Tamara x

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© As Told by Tamara. Design by Eve.