Local Eats: Escudo de Cuba

Sunday 11 December 2022

 
Escudo de Cuba
20 Stoke Newington Rd, London N16 7XN

Dalston continues to surprise me with its unexpected delights. Whether it's secret bars or artisan pop ups, there's always some place I HAVE to visit - I'm slowly ticking off my check list of local eats and Escudo de Cuba was next!

I'd always been intrigued by this latin food spot; with a huge Cuban flag painted on the side of the building and vibrant beats playing behind it's doors. In the summer, locals bask in the sun with cocktails out front and the general vibe just seems so inviting. I also love Latin American food and Cuban cuisine was one I hadn't yet explored.


On a Sunday in December, it wasn't quite the setting for Cuba Libres outside so we ventured in and got ourselves a table. Instantly, I felt like we had been transported to a bar in Havana. Music was playing, the decor is so festive and authentic, and the smell of the food won me over straight away. We started with a drink from their extensive cocktail list and ordered nachos to share. The nachos were topped with the most succulent shredded beef, cooked in red wine, along with melted manchego cheese and guacamole - perfect to pick at while we decided on mains.


A good Cuban meal wouln't be complete without meat and we had an appetite. We ordered a mixed platter of flame grilled meats; including chicken, lamb, chorizo and beef, all served with rice and beans. Everything was so tender and full of flavour, the meat was seasoned to perfection. The combination of meat worked so well and the dish itself seemed like a latin twist on a Sunday roast. We were left more than satisfied with our stomaches full and our moods uplifted with nostalgic Reggaeton. 

We'll most definitely be returning, we're lucky to have this place so close to home. I'm super keen to try the PiƱa Rellena (a pineapple stuffed with seafood).


Tamara x

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© As Told by Tamara. Design by Eve.